Transferring Records to the Archives
Emory University administrative units, schools, and departments wishing to deposit records in the Archives will follow the framework below to arrange the transfer.
Individuals such as faculty, alumni, students, and friends of the University interested in donating material to the Archives do not follow the same procedure. Contact the University Archivist to discuss donation.
How to Transfer Records
- Refer to the Emory University Archives Collecting Policy for information about the kinds of materials the University Archives collects, including a detailed list of the types of records that generally are and are not collected.
- Contact the Assistant Director and University Archivist, John Bence, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-727-9123 to discuss your material and the details of your transfer. Communicate about any born digital (i.e. electronic) records to be transferred.
- Prepare your materials for the transfer by packing them in boxes. Boxes can be purchased through the Emory Marketplace if needed. Look for lid-off storage boxes at approximately 10 x 12 x 15 inches.
- Complete the Records Transmittal Form to authorize transfer of your records. The form is found here.
- Complete a records inventory identifying the contents of all boxes you wish to transfer. The form is found here.
- Contact the Assistant Director and University Archivist, John Bence, at email@example.com or 404-727-9123 to arrange the physical transfer of boxes.
With time, records in the Emory University Archives are processed and made available to researchers. You can browse Emory's finding aids for examples of how collections are arranged and described.
Refer to the Emory University Archives Access Policy for more information about how the University Archives handles student and financial information.